A prominent member of the Racial Guardians, Oprah Winfrey, has opined on the topic of racism.
In an interview with the BBC to promote Lee Daniel’s The Butler in which she plays a starring role, Winfrey said regarding Obama,
“There’s a level of disrespect for the office that occurs in some cases, and maybe even many cases, because he’s African-American. There’s no question about that. And it’s the kind of thing no one ever says, but everybody’s thinking.”
What disrespect, exactly? Since there are ‘some cases’ and ‘maybe even many cases’ as Oprah claims, what are some examples that prove this flimsy accusation?
She gives but ONE example to prove her case- Joe Wilson rudely, yelling out “You lie!” during president Obama’s speech to Congress touting the perceived benefits of the forthcoming Affordable Care Act. Yes it was rude to do it, as Wilson himself acknowledged and correctly apologized for it.
Even still, this in-and-of-itself as “proof” is questionable in regards to race because Wilson’s accusation wasn’t amended by a racial insult. He didn’t say, “You lie, blackie (or coon or ‘brotha’, etc.)!”; he simply and wrongly accused the president of lying.
This one example, from four years ago and absent of racial malice surely isn’t enough to buttress Oprah’s claim of disrespect simply because the president is black.
According to Oprah, people disrespect Obama because he’s black, not because:
– he lied more than three dozen times about Obamacare, telling the country that “if they liked their doctor, they could keep their doctor” and “if they liked their health insurance, they could keep their health insurance”;
– he drew his red line in the sand regarding Syria, saying ““We have been very clear to the Assad regime, but also to other players on the ground, that a red line for us is we start seeing a whole bunch of chemical weapons moving around or being utilized. That would change my calculus. That would change my equation.” Then Obama lied, again and said “I didn’t set a red line, the world set a red line”;
– he was upstaged and bailed out by Russian President Vladimir Putin when Putin decided to act as peacemaker, intervening to prevent an unwanted military strike against Syria. Putin’s intervention effectively rescued the president from his self-created stalemate of having to potentially take reluctant military action against Bashar Assad for using chemical weapons against his own people;
– he was ignored by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani;
– he snooped on Americans and other world leaders through the use of the NSA;
– he attacked and intimidated his political opponents with the help of the IRS;
– he has exemplified disinterested and inept economic stewardship over an economy which currently has an unemployment rate of 7.3% not including the more than 11 million people who have left the labor force since January of 2009, his first month in office; which includes 47 million Americans on SNAP which represents roughly 23 million American households;
– he spent $800 billion on “stimulus” which didn’t reduce or slow the unemployment rate as he promised;
– he helped facilitate the redefinition of marriage by directing Attorney General Eric Holder not to defend DOMA, and “evolved” toward supporting same-sex marriage;
– he weakened our military by repealing DADT and continues to fire experienced generals who disagree with his ideological vision for the military;
– he allowed the Fast and Furious gun-walking program to be used as a political platform for “gun control.” It turned into a scandal when it was reported that of the hundreds of guns lost during the sting operation, one was used to kill border patrol agent Brian Terry;
– he’s wasted trillions of dollars on the fantasy of “green energy” and “climate change”;
– he hasn’t done or said a meaningful thing about the four Americans killed in Benghazi. As a matter of fact, Obama lied about the events, sent then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and then-U.N. Ambassador Susan Rice out on television to lie to Americans as to how and why this tragedy happened. Obama then went on Letterman’s show saying that the Benghazi episode was the result of a video produced by a “shadowy character” mocking Muhammad, knowing full well that wasn’t the truth.
Glad that’s cleared up. Thanks for the clarification, Oprah, but I regret to inform you that the race card that was once effectively used to shield Obama from criticism no longer works. His lies, ineptness and poor stewardship transcend his color and now has to be judged on his actions which reveal his character.
Equally as important- shame on you Oprah. Shame on you for mischaracterizing the philosophical and ideological differences people have with the president as racial “disrespect.” You have some nerve considering who the bulk of your fan base used to be.